Monday, July 30, 2012

Lilly the sleepless child

Lilly is not a sleeper. Let me take this back Lilly is a Sleeper between the hours of 1:00am and 9:00am. Sleep for her has been excruciating since the moment she took her very first breath. I pray and pray some nights that bedtime would be this wonderful time of reading and prayer and sleep. We have everything but sleep. There have been nights when Gary, Owen and I have gone to bed and Lilly is screaming to high heaven to stay awake. This summer I have been guilty of letting her stay up and sleep with me because Gary is working. And in all honesty it avoids the fight of keeping her in bed. I became super lazy and now I am paying for it.
My laziness made our little sleeping problem way worse.
School is starting in one week and my sweet little girl needs to be on a better routine for her sanity and mine. So we started bedtime at 7:30. We washed up, brushed our teeth, put on our pj's and read three chapters of a Tinker Bell book, prayed as a family and tucked both Lilly and Owen into bed.
Both kids stayed in their rooms reading or playing and then Owen crawled in bed went sound asleep and Lilly came downstairs. Gary took her back to bed. She came down again. I took her to bed. This was our routine for 2 hours and 42 minutes. It is now 10:53 and she is still wide awake.
I will be strong for her sake and mine. I am praying she let go and just sleep.

Proverbs 23:13
Do not withhold discipline from a child

2 comments:

  1. She MUST be related to her Aunt Tammy! Anyway, try bathing her in lavender water. I think they sell a baby wash that has lavender in it. Don't know what brand but it is relaxing and it is suppose to work. Bath and Body works also sells a lavender spray for linens you can spray on her pillow. Smells good too. Also you can try giving her chamomille tea or warm milk before bed. If she doesn't like the tea hot, try it iced. Hope this helps. If this doesn't work, let her stay up until she is tired, but no tv. Getting up early for school will catch up with her eventually. Good luck! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to get lavender spray now! Maybe they sell bucket size. It will catch up to her she comes from bad sleeping genes. Between Gary Tammy and Ted she is pretty messed up!! 😉
    Love you guys, hope it's not hot up there!

    ReplyDelete

Spring Break

I’m morning Spring Break... We had such a great time from movies to Denver and Salida. Thankful summer is right around the bend.