Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Endings and Hope

Gary and I have a friend from church that is dying of cancer, he has been given just two to six months to live. This past weekend we took the kids to the Denver area VA Hospital/Nursing Home that he is going to be staying at for the rest of his life. This is a man whom Gary has served in ministry with for a little over seven years, he is tough and a little mouthy and I like him. He does not play games, he cusses a little and laughs hard but most importantly he loves Jesus and knows that the Kingdom of Heaven will be welcoming him home very soon. It was sad yet hopeful to see this man in peace.

A sweet story as we were visiting. We go everywhere as a family, very rarely do we leave the kids behind and we both felt it was important for the kids to experience this particular moment with us as they have known this man for nearly their entire lives. Chuck taught Owen how to fist bump and has been relentlessly teasing Lilly for years. So we all visited together and then made a fun day in Denver. I was really proud of the sensitivity of Lilly and Owen and the maturity they showed as we prayed and visited with our friend. Owen tends to make friends where ever he goes and this day was no exception. As we were talking with Chuck, I noticed a man sitting alone and having his lunch. The next moment made my heart overwhelm with inside tears. Owen sat down at the table with this man who was in a wheelchair and had his bib tightly wrapped around his neck. Owen said I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too they are my favorite. It was one of those moments where a mommas heart sees the good in her little guy. Owen and this man continued their conversation for several minutes one that included talking about which Army this man was in and remote control tanks. They ended their conversation with a little hug just between guys. I love my kids and I love the way God is opening their hearts to serving and loving people. I truly see God moving and working in the hearts of Lilly and Owen and it makes me so happy. I’m really proud of these kids for their hard work in school, their willingness to serve in church but most importantly the fact that they are in pursuit of the Only thing that matters and that is God. We ask for continued prayers for our friend who entering into his last days, we pray for peace that surpasses all understanding and a beautiful journey Home. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break

I’m morning Spring Break... We had such a great time from movies to Denver and Salida. Thankful summer is right around the bend.