Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Embarrassing Life Moment

Embarrassing moments never seem far from me. I have had several in fact so many I could not possibly list them all. I would like to think these little mishaps are just part of my charm..

Yesterday I battled a horrible headache I was really tired and in all honesty my head really hurt. It was the kind of headache that was in my eyes, jaw and the top of my head. I battled this thing all day and was looking forward to going home, taking a bath and just getting into bed. Well.....that was a nice dream considering my wonderful husband and his big heart had some guy from his office over and they were trying to fix his car. The car is a mess and in fact this very moment is still sitting all apart in my drive way. This poor guy needed help and so Gary is always willing to lend his mechanical hand. Because this guy had no way to get to work Gary said he could just stay with us for dinner and they could go to work later that night. Imagine how thrilled I was to have a headache and company. God did show me much grace in the fact I had a spotless house and a roast in the crockpot, so I took that as a small victory and rejoiced in my weakness. I put a smile on my face and served dinner like a good wife did dishes and made lunches for both my children, myself, my husband and our guest considering this poor guy could not even get home for a nap before enduring graveyard engineering. After dinner and cleaning up I got the kiddos all cleaned up, changed into jammies we read our story and prayed and they were off to dreamland. In my mind I was counting down to that moment I could change myself and sink into the warm bath and finally lay my head on my pillow. However this dream was once again short lived with company in our home. I went back downstairs and made brownies for our guest and chatted for what seemed like eternity before the guys left for work. Finally I kissed my husband goodbye did a little happy dance while setting the alarm and made my way upstairs to sink into the bath and finally go to sleep.

Making it upstairs is always a chore for me because I find fifty things to do on the way up. By the time I got upstairs it was dang near 10:30 and I settled for a nice face wash and two Tylenol PM's. Finally I was in my jammies all warm and settled into my soft warm bed........................................

AND THEN.   Like a mad woman my heart jumps out of my chest! I had just fallen asleep when the motion detectors went off and I heard someone in my house. I am alone at night with the kids and I was in a panic. There was pounding and banging and I was definitely scared. Somewhere in this fog I managed to call 911 while getting into the gun safe praying I remember the combination. I managed to do all this getting the gun, talking to the 911 operator and making sure my kids are safe in bed. Then I look outside and there are police men at my house. I tell this in a panic whisper to the 911 operator and she calmly says Mrs. Haynes your alarm has been going off for over forty minutes and they are there to make sure you are okay. OH MY GOSH are you kidding me? So I stick the gun on my tall mirror, grab my robe, and rush downstairs to turn off the alarm and talk to the lovely police men who I am sure thought I was on drugs when it was just Tylenol PM.
These wonderful  police men showed me much grace as I tried to calm down and breath explain that I had a horrible headache and took Tylenol PM  all this while they looked all over my home to make sure no one was in the house...Again thank you Jesus my house was spotless! We could not figure out how on earth the stupid motion detectors went off it was really strange. These officers were fantastic even making a joke that they really do respond to home alarms going off. They told me if I needed anything else to just give then a call and they would be back. After calling Gary at work and my parents I figured I would try the bed thing again. And then I heard a little meow. I wanted to die at that moment because I remembered with the headache, and the guest and trying to be a good wife I forgot to put the cat away and he set off the alarm.
At this point it was near 3:30 am I had a little over two hours to sleep. Needless to say I was a little embarrassed and extremely tired. I am however thankful for the wonderful police men who managed to make me smile in the midst of one of my charming moments.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jen, I'm sorry you had a headache. I hope you feel better today. Just remember the police are there to serve and protect and they are really good at what they do. I'm sure that they have seen much worse than your circumstances. Love you. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Spring Break

I’m morning Spring Break... We had such a great time from movies to Denver and Salida. Thankful summer is right around the bend.