Friday, October 31, 2014

Stop Glorifying Busy

Some days I feel like I am in some supersonic world filled with instantaneous pleasure and running here and there. We literally live in a country that has our every whim at our hand. Every little desire can be filled with a quick stop here or there. I think about many kids in my life including my own who have never wanted for anything. The pleasure we allow our children to indulge in is ridiculous. We seem to be restricted by the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day. We find ourselves hurried and robotic, just take a look at the person in the car next to you the next time you are at a stoplight. It’s a robotic culture. Our culture promotes bigger is better, more vacations to extravagant places, work more, kids have to be involved in a million activities who are we kidding? We as a society have let Satan the prince of darkness distract us from all that is important. And I too have be so guilty of distraction.

I am first and foremost a Passionate Follower of Jesus Christ and as a Christian, wife and mother I cannot allow my family to be swept away in the supersonic world we live in. One of my very favorite books of The Bible is Romans. This morning I was reading Romans 12:2  this verse states do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is, his good pleasing and perfect will. The Bible puts a lot of value on rest and peaceful living. Sometimes I look at my week and think to myself how on earth are we going to fit it all in. We don’t and that is just the truth. Last month I literally sat on the floor of my living room with six invitations to baby showers, a fundraising event and two birthday parties. I had to say no to all of them. Not because I don’t love my friends but because I love my family more and I know that retreating into the arms of my God and my family will always be the right choice. Lilly and Owen are not involved in twenty activities. They are expected to well in school, to participate in church and if they choose they may play one sport or do some school activity a semester. Lilly is doing choir and is also going to play basketball and Owen is in a Lego Nation Group. We have a healthy balance and that is what God is asking of us.

Gary and I adore our family. We have been entrusted with two of the most special little people in the world and we don’t want to miss the little moments with them. When we glorify all the activities that we shuffle the kids to and fro we are missing those little moments. I think how much I would miss the times of prayer as a family, the sitting on the couch watching  movies, hiking together, dinner conversations and our devotions the moments in church and just enjoying each other and our family traditions. Those are the moments of life, not the to and fro.

The Bible says in Mark 6:31 So many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat. He said to His disciples, “come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” Jesus is the greatest example of retreating he did so often after His service to the masses he would retreat and be with His Father alone.

We must not glorify being busy, we must rejoice in the quite times of home. I pray for peace to come upon my heart and other parents hearts to make that difficult decision to say no to too much activity and yes to God and family. All too often we follow the way of the world, the wide road of destruction when that small narrow road is waiting with open arms full of peace and joy. I love the little moments, and until my dying day I will rejoice in the peaceful small moments, the little traditions to Friday nightpizza and movie to Saturday devotions and breakfast.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break

I’m morning Spring Break... We had such a great time from movies to Denver and Salida. Thankful summer is right around the bend.